Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Random Acts of Kindness

Random acts of kindness are those little sweet or grand lovely things we for no reason.



The unexpected kindness of a stranger

Submitted By: Betty

Yesterday, as I approached the front door of our public library, a white-haired gentleman stepped back to hold the door for me. You see, I have to go everywhere these days with a walker, and folks are constantly holding or opening doors for me, so this was not unusual.

However, I told the gentleman that the door had an automatic opener, and he did not need to stay to hold it open. He said "Here I thought I would have an opportunity to be useful."

At that, I backed up, let the door close, and allowed him to reopen the door, this time using the automatic control. His comment then was "Well, now I feel like I have accomplished something helpful and worthwhile today."

We never know, do we, how someone else is feeling… we seniors seem to feel we can take care of ourselves at all times. That random act of Kindness brightened not only my day, but to my joy and delight, also the day of that kind, gentle, white-haired senior citizen. I felt a glow for the rest of the day, and, hopefully, so did he!

So, gentle readers, never hesitate to offer kindness... you may find to your amazement that there is more kindness in your community than you ever believe possible.


"If you have not often felt the joy of doing a kind act, you have neglected much, and most of all yourself."
Author:A. Neilen

"Sometimes our light goes out but is blown into a flame by another human being. Each of us owes deepest thanks to those who have rekindled this light." - Author:Albert Schweitzer

Check out the Random Acts of Kindness website for some ideas on how you can make life better for those around you.  You'll feel better for it!

BANABU
Fran Watson
http://www.banabu.ca/
http://www.randomactsofkindness.org/Stories/Features/Kindness-101.html#
 

No comments: