Saturday, October 31, 2009

Dreams and Goals

Goals and Dreams

Don't underestimate the value of a few seconds. As Benjamin Franklin said, "If we take care of the minutes, the years will take care of themselves."

Quotes from Will Rogers “Our smallest actions may have tremendous repercussions”
“Our today is what it is because of what we did yesterday. “
“We need to be conscious of what we are doing or not doing.”
“If you don't take advantage of an opportunity when it comes, you may miss it for eternity -- grab hold and don't let go -- seize it now. “
“Nothing worthwhile is easy - you have to work at everything."

All too often as women we get sidetracked by the various demands of our life – our husbands/boyfriends, our children, our parents, our jobs… We forget that we too are allowed to have dreams and goals, that we are important and that our lives are important to us as well as to others.

How many times have you been going to do something for yourself – even if it was only to sit quietly with a cup of tea or coffee – when someone came by or called and asked you to do something? When this happens, more often than not, you sighed a little and then said, “ok” or “no problem, I can do that”. You likely didn’t say: “I’m sorry I don’t have the time at the moment”, or “Let me get back to you.”, even though that might have been what you wanted to say. Or, we just sit down and then we jump up, remembering one more thing that needs doing, and then we’ll just sit down and relax.

For instance, as I was writing this I sat down with my Chai tea, picked up my pen and started to write. Then I realized I hadn’t eaten anything yet, so I got myself a bowl of cooked cabbage, which I had just finished making, and then I went to rinse the dish and thought, “Oh, I should do these dishes.”, so I did. Then I came back to the table, to my cold Chai tea and an unfinished article, so I took my tea and put it in the microwave and picked up my pen. As soon as I’m finished writing I will go upstairs, put on some make up and head off to the church hall with my six pies and see what they need help with for our church supper.

But back to goals and dreams… How often have you let the busyness of your life interfere with achieving a goal or a dream? How often have you used the excuse, “I just don’t have the time to…”? (You supply the goal or dream.) I know I used that excuse far too often.

The truth is, you will never “find” the time, you have to “make time” for it to happen.

There have been times in the past when I pursued my goal straight out and others when I meandered my way along. I achieved my goal of a university degree in 2000 after 13 years of distance education. I started when I was 38 years old. I set my sights on 2000 and finished my final course in August 2000, in time to graduate and attend the ceremonies in October. Nine years later that is till one of my proudest moments.

My very first goal as a child was to become a mother. I didn’t want to be a pilot, a teacher, or anything else. Just a mom. I was married at 18 but the kids didn’t come along for 5 more years. I had 4 – boy, girl, girl, boy – and I’m proud to say that they are ALL wonderful, responsible, intelligent, caring human beings. If you have read my bio you will know that I officially became a single mom when my oldest was 14 and my youngest 3, although I had spent a great deal of time on my own as we had separated several times.

I found that it is important to keep on setting new goals or else you run into the problem of just sitting around wondering what you should be doing. That was my dilemma from the time my kids were born until I became a single parent and set my goal to achieve my degree.

A few years ago I decided that I wanted to make money on the internet. I had dreams of raking in “big bucks”. After all, that’s what all the ads say you can do. So I signed up for this offer and that offer and I bought this course and that course, but I didn’t have a plan. I didn’t set up mini goals and time lines and so I have been floundering. (I did make at least one wise purchase - Rosalind Gardner's Super Affiliate Handbook.)

I purchased the woman-2-woman domain several years ago when I was writing articles on a regular basis, but life got in the way and I never got set up. This week I decided that now is the time. I would just get it up and add to it each week. I will be adding info on Affiliate Marketing, Traffic Exchanges and Personal Growth with links you can use. Most will be women as that is my main focus, but there have been several men whom I have found very helpful, so I will share that info as well.

My goal for this website is to have a list of at least 5 items in each section by mid November. If you have some suggestions, please let me know.

I look forward to hearing from you. Check on how I’m doing by coming to my website http://www.woman-2-woman.info

See you later

Fran
P.S. Interested in Affiliate Marketing? Learn from the best.

No comments: