Monday, November 9, 2009

Life Lesson - Fix it before it fixes You

There are so many things that this life lesson can apply to. Our vehicles, our relationships, our houses and much more. In my case it applied to a job I have been putting off for quite a while.

On Saturday I was working around my house cleaning up and putting away things in the garage and then trying to fix the door on my garage. After I examined the old door which wasn't fitting properly, I realized that I needed to cut a portion off the post which attached to the outside wall and so I carried the door and frame over to the top of my dug well where I had some support.

I wasn't really looking where I was going and as I stepped onto the well, I stepped on a rotten board on the top of my well which broke. My right leg fell through and was hanging inside the well just above the water. Luckily for me my left leg was still on the cement and the next board was still solid.

I pulled myself out, a little bruised and sore, but I then continued with my project, put the door back on the garage, put the chairs in the garage, went to the dump and then came home and changed my clothes.

It wasn't until later that I realized how lucky I really was.

I realized that If the second board had also been rotten, I would have fallen right into the well which was about 15-20 feet deep and filled with water. There was no way for me to get out.

My boyfriend had gone to get his mom from the hospital, so he didn't get home until around 6:00 pm. He would have called me, wondered where I was, but he wouldn't have looked for me until about 8:00 - 9 hours after I would have fallen in. I live in the country and my closest neighbour was gone hunting, so there was no one nearby. I had no cell phone with me to call 911. There was no way to climb out of the well.

I realized that if I had fallen in, I probably would not be here to tell the tale.

We had talked often about putting something more over the well, filling the well, etc. but hadn't gotten around to it.

Often in our relationships we talk around a problem, but fail to actually deal with it until it becomes much worse.

Sometimes with our vehicle we hear a funny noise, but we wait for a while before we take it to the garage and what might have been a $20 part has now turned into a $500 (or more) repair.

There is a saying that applies here: "A stitch in time saves nine."

Before I left I put a flat over the top of the well. My grandson suggested putting some stakes around it with rope - a good idea.

Luckily I am here. The life lesson - take care of things before they become dangerous - or fix it before it fixes you - and watch where you walk.

BANABU

Fran

No comments: